A Talking God

Growing up Catholic I faced a religious contradiction in my instruction. On the one hand, people who heard the voice of God, Jesus, Mary or one of those who had passed into heaven, were extolled. But if some contemporary soul were to say that he or she actually heard the voice of God, that one would be considered insane. Their hymnbook upside down, their bonnet to tight, and their rosary a decade short of a joyful mystery.
When I first experienced a revelation from God I had to tell someone. The priest I hurried off to see smiled patronizingly, suggested that my perception was askew, and asked if I would like to go to confession. I figured if he had no clue about what I just encountered, why would I trust what he offered. But I was a judgmental boy.
I sought out a relative whose advice I trusted and told her, "God talked to me."
"Jeff," she said with alarm in her eyes, "Do you know what a holy roller is?" And she walked away. I had some vague idea about what a holy roller was, and I knew it was something akin to crazy. But if it be crazy to "hear" the thoughts and feelings of God, then crazy let me gladly be.
But what is more crazy? A God who communicates with His children, or a God who can create this magnificent universe but cannot make himself known to a simple boy? It is believed that nothing is impossible to God...except plain communication with modern man. It is acceptable dogma that all things are possible to God...except a clear conversation with modern woman. Such a weak God is that.

And He walks with me, and He talks with me
And He tells me I am His own
And the joy we share as we tarry there
None other has ever known
(C.Miles)



No comments: