Looking to the Cross

The weakness evident in the Church's message is due to the secondary place that the cross holds in its teaching and preaching. I've met pastors who are actually embarrassed by the sacrifice of Christ. They see it as primitive and base theology.  "Now is my soul troubled ; and what shall I say ? Father, save me from this hour: but for this very reason I came to this hour," said Jesus before He allowed the authorities to take Him. If we bypass the Cross we bypass the purpose of the Christ. Where His cross is not at work in us, He is not at work in us. "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live ; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me." (Galatians 2:20) The whole Christian life springs from this death. From this seed that fell to the ground and died, sprouts the garden of the lord, and we are the flowers. We bear the fruit of loving forgiveness because we are rooted in the ground of Calvary.

No comments: