On Being Happy~1


The book “Power of Positive Thinking” was all the rage for decades in the 20th century. It proposes the mental discipline of looking on the sunny side. But as you know, sometimes things get so dark that it is nigh impossible to see an optimistic outcome. The song tells us, “Just direct your feet to the sunny side of the street.” On a moonless rainy midnight in the middle of some God-forsaken nowhere, there’s not much sun.
The problem with the Positive Thinking approach is that there is no basis for it. It reminds me of one whistling in the graveyard. Other than my own desire to feel better, the exercise points to no reason to assume the best. This is why a theologian said of the book’s author, “I find Paul quite appealing and Peale quite appalling.”
The apostle Paul, who knew some hard and dark moments, told the persecuted Christians of the first century, “In everything give thanks.” At first quote it appears to be no more than “Positive Thinking,” but let’s open it up and take a closer look.
It is said that the great existential crises for the atheist, is when he feels grateful and there’s no one to thank. The strength of Paul’s teaching is God Himself. When I give thanks I confess that I am not alone on the dark side of the street. My thanksgiving acknowledges the involvement of my loving heavenly Father.
Though Mr. Peale was no doubt a man of faith, his writing left me with a feeling that God was a mere optional thought; an alternative view that was not at all essential to the proposed method. Perhaps the popularity of His book is due to the offer of an escape from fellowship with a God who is not me; a God whose frighteningly unspeakable love relentlessly pursues my heart.

No comments: