Honoring the Beloved


Gayle and I attended a social function last week. It was a lovely affair, a beautiful celebration. Not knowing many people there I began to circulate through the gathering, finding out who was related to whom. I fell into a conversation with a delightful, easy-going man who had recently retired from a successful business that he built from sheer determination. Very admirable.  I found out that he was deeply involved in his church. He served for thirty plus years in some capacity or another, giving generously of his time, skill and money.
Then, out of nothing in our discussion he said, “I don’t like ‘The Thus and Such’ denomination.
My wife and I spent a few years visiting the Church of our Lord in all its various forms. In every church we found two consistent elements: A strong devotion to God and a sense of the presence of Christ. The Church of Thus and Such was no exception and I said so.  “Oh,” I said with a smile, “I like them.”
His countenance went from jovial to deadly serious, bordering on sour. His posture stiffened and his tone went flat. There entered our warm little chat a definite chill. Though I continued to extol (even pleadingly defend) the beauty of the Body of Christ as it appears in all denominations, the conversation was over. He became as antsy as a schoolboy waiting in line to use the  bathroom. He excused himself and slipped into the crowd, never to acknowledge us again.
I was surprised by this sharp animosity toward fellow believers. I wonder how extensive this hatred is. Is this the disease that is weakening the fellowship of faith and lowering our spirituality? Am I infected with it?
To despise those for whom Christ died is to slight His sufferings. Do we value our dogmas and opinions more than each other, more than our unity in Christ? We must take care to respect all who name the name of Christ. It is in this matrix of kindness, or at least civility, that we can protect the tender love of Christ. The world will learn of the living love of our God only when we learn to live in that love.

No comments: