The Company You Keep



I'd like to be more devoted to Christ. I'd like to be more faithful and show His love more consistently. I'd like to do those things He wants me to do and worship with passion. But I can't suddenly make this happen just by deciding to be inspired. I can’t turn it on and off like the burner on a stove. It is unlikely that this morning I’m lukewarm, and this afternoon I'll be piping hot; or that just this afternoon I was a smoldering ash, and tonight I’ll be the great torch over the Olympic games. 

And yet the Word tells us, “He will not quench a smoldering wick.” He does not look with disgust at my feeble whiffs of worship floating from my inner candle, wet the tips of His fingers and pinch me out. He is the fire starter; the One who will “immerse you in fire”. The consistent temperature of my devotion can be gradually raised. It is a matter of time–time spent in His presence. I've noticed that the more consistently I set aside a few minutes to be with Him, the more I change inside. The more I change inside, the more I care for those around me, the more I naturally show His love. Hanging around with Jesus brings out His best in me. His goodness rubs off on me. My soul quietly catches fire standing near Him. He rarely explodes into a life. His way is to gradually intensify His holy fire in us.

No comments: